The Classic Yacht Gloriana was launched on 14th November 1892. She was the first boat built by the fledgling Logan brothers firm R & A Logan. A 2 1/2 rater she was built by Robert Logan Junior and his brothers Arch and John in their spare time to be campaigned themselves. She was a 1/2 scale version of the great Nat Hereshoff designed Gloriana, the New York Yacht Club 46ft class champion of 1891, but incorporated all the thinking of the new Logan firm. She was an immediate success, blitzing everything else on the harbour and helping establish the Logan brothers reputation in wooden boat construction.
Gloriana was shipped to Wellington on the Talune in January 1894 for the Wellington Anniversary Regatta Second Class event which she won. She started the race only minutes after being put in the water from the steamer. Gloriana was then immediately shipped back to Auckland in time to achieve the class win in the Auckland Anniversary Regatta. The racing and logistics success was a major boost for their business.
Little is known of Glorianas ownership history, however she was owned by John Gordon McKenzie from 1962 to 1964. John was in touch with the Classic Yacht Charitable Trust in June 2015 and recounted some of his experiences.
The wooden boats purist Captain Jim Cottier owned Gloriana for 22 years. While he owned her, Cottier returned the yacht to its original gaff rig and style, as over the years she had been converted to sloop rig and had a dog-house added that totally destroyed the classic Logan line.
The yacht’s story is covered in the Robin Elliott and Harold Kidd’s book The Logan’s which states, “The boat was an absolute cracker, the platform for the later success of Logan Brothers as New Zealand’s premier yacht builders. From that perspective she is a vitally important boat and must be preserved.”
Gloriana is a protected New Zealand antique under the Protected Objects Act 1975
Gloriana was given a complete restoration at the same time as Thelma at Wayne Olsen’s Horizon Boats Ltd shed at Silverdale. She was re-launched with Thelma at the Viaduct Basin in time for the 2008 summer season. She is on permanent display at the Voyager New Zealand Maritime Museum.
Gloriana photo gallery http://www.classicyachtcharitabletrust.org.nz/gallery.htm?gallery_id=39